Academic Advising

Your path to graduation starts here. Our academic advisors provide accurate, personalized, and developmental advising to all current and prospective undergraduate students interested in pursuing degrees, certificates, or minors within the School of Mathematical and Statistical Sciences.

The online scheduling system you access using the button below only shows two weeks of available appointments for each advisor. If the advisor’s schedule is full, students can return to the scheduling system the following day to see the next chronological day with open appointments.

Schedule your advising appointment


Is this your first year at ASU?

First-year students (not including new transfer students or online students) receive advising support in Armstrong Hall.

First-year advising


Our academic advisors are trained to know all of your math degree requirements from beginning to end, and can assist in planning your courses in an appropriate sequence. You can direct most university-related questions to your advisor. If they do not have the answer, they will point you to the available resource that does.

It's important that you share any problem or challenge that arises during degree completion so that your advisor can help you. Your academic success is their primary focus.

Our advisors can help you with questions about:

  • what classes to enroll in and when
  • internships, research, and study abroad
  • academic performance and tutoring assistance
  • adding a second major, minor or certificate
  • post-undergraduate options (graduate school, career options, 4+1 degree, etc.)
  • almost anything -- we can connect you with a number of resources across campus!

Advising appointments

Schedule your advising appointment online.
WXLR 216 (map to Wexler Hall)

Express Advising both in-person and zoom:

Wednesdays 1:30-3:30pm
Fridays 9:30-11:30am

With Rehn Kovacic, Joan Cornier, and Leslee Smithhisler

Check in for Express Advising during the times listed above

You are responsible for providing your 10-digit ASU affiliate ID (starting with a 1000 or 1200). Same-day appointment are not usually available. If you are more than 10 minutes late to your appointment you may have to reschedule.

Not an ASU student yet? No problem. You can log in as a guest to schedule your appointment. 

Your advisors


Override Requests - Tempe campus only

Override request form

Fill out the online Override request form to begin the process for requesting a class override for mathematics or statistics courses offered by The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS) on the Tempe campus.

  • This form can only be used during the add/drop enrollment period. After the add deadline, you must contact our office for enrollment assistance.
  • Only complete requests will be acted upon.
  • Allow 1 to 2 business days for processing.

Types of Overrides

  • Prerequisite Override - needed when prerequisites have not been turned into ASU or are not showing in the system properly. Requires proof of prerequisite such as copies of unofficial transcript or class schedule from other institutions, placement test scores, etc.
  • Class Full - needed when desired course if full. Requires instructor permission, copy of email is ok. Department will check room capacity per Fire Marshal regulations before override is granted.
  • Course Permission - needed when course requires instructor or department consent. Proof of permission is required for instructor consent.
  • Time Conflict- needed when course times overlap. Requires permission from both instructors and overrides from the departments of both courses.

Course Reserve: cannot be overridden. To find out information who the seats are reserved for or when they may be released, perform a catalog/course search and click on the desired course. The reserved seat information will be listed at the bottom of the page.

If you have any questions for the Tempe campus contact us at:
480-965-7195 or

Overrides for classes on other campuses

Overrides for a class offered on one of the other campuses need to be processed by the Math department at that location.
Downtown Campus - 602-496-4636 - Form
Polytechnic Campus - 480-727-1585 - Form
West Campus - 602-543-3000 or email

Barrett Honors Students

How to enroll in Honors Directed Study MAT 492 and Honors Thesis MAT 493

Students who want to enroll in MAT/STP 492 and 493, must submit the enrollment form with a copy of their thesis abstract.  

Automatic honors credit is awarded for:

  • ACT 310
  • ACT 430
  • MAT 448
  • Any graduate level MAT, APM, STP, or MTE courses

Faculty Mentors

In preparation for your Barrett Honors Thesis, you may have questions about getting involved in research. You would benefit from speaking with a faculty mentor in addition to your academic advisor. Below is a list of faculty mentors and their areas of expertise.

Barrett, The Honors College Faculty Honors Advisor - Nancy Childress

Theoretical Mathematics
Number theory, cryptography, abstract algebra - Nancy Childress          
Discrete mathematics, combinatorics, graph theory and algorithms - Andrzej Czygrinow         
Probability - Nicolas Lanchier        
Analysis, topology - Jack Spielberg        

Applied Mathematics
Dynamical systems, differential equations - Eric Kostelich        
Mathematical biology, mathematical medicine, population dynamics - Yang Kuang        
Applied probability - Nicolas Lanchier        
Computational applied mathematics, numerical analysis - Bruno Welfert        

Statistics - John Stufken

Actuarial science - Jelena Milovanovic        

Mathematics Education - Marilyn Carlson

Undergraduate Research Projects

For examples of undergraduate research projects completed by previous students in our school, go to the Undergraduate Research Projects section of our website.

For a broader look at examples and past projects of Barrett Honors students, go to the Barrett, The Honors College Thesis/Creative Project Collection in the ASU Library. Find more details on upcoming deadlines for your Honors thesis project.


Frequently Asked Questions

I am getting a prerequisite error when I try to enroll, what do I do?

If you have completed the prerequisite course, be sure it has been transferred to ASU and is posted to your ASU transcript.

If the transfer course is not yet posted, you can provide an unofficial copy of your transcript to the Undergraduate Math Office (via email to, in person to Wexler Hall room 211, or via fax to 480-965-5569) and we can post a courtesy override for you to enroll.

If you have not yet completed your prerequisite course, provide proof of enrollment in the course to the Undergraduate Math Office, and we can post a courtesy override with expiration date.  Note, if your final grade is not posted to your ASU transcript by the deadline, you will be dropped from your math class for missing prerequisite.

I am getting a reserve error when I try to enroll, what do I do?

Many classes at ASU are reserved for specific groups, majors only, ASU Online only, Honors only, etc. If you are attempting to enroll and receive the message the "seats are reserved and you do not meet reserve capacity" you may not be able to enroll in that section. You may choose another, non-reserved section. If you feel you are getting the message in error, call our office at 480-965-7195 for assistance.

The class I want has a green triangle next to it, what does that mean?

A triangle next to a course section on the schedule of classes indicates that some or all of the seats are reserved for a specific group of students.
If you hover your mouse over the triangle, it will tell you whom the seats are reserved for, and when those seats will be released for general enrollment. If you have questions about course reserves for a MAT/STP/MTE/ACT class, call our office at 480-965-7195.

It says I'm off-track, what does that mean?

Your major map denotes the course critically-tracked courses for your major with a green diamond icon. To remain on-track in your major you must successfully pass these courses in the terms they are scheduled.  If you are not enrolled in your critically-tracked course, contact your advisor to discuss options.   
If you are "off-track" it means you are either not enrolled in a critically-tracked course or you have not successfully passed the critically-tracked course in the term it is scheduled.
If you have an off-track hold, and you are unsure of how to clear it, contact your advisor, or email

What does a 2nd Off-Track Hold mean?

If you are not making satisfactory progress in your major, by successfully passing your critically-tracked courses, you will be off-track.  If you are are off-track twice (i.e. for two semesters) then you may be required to change your major.
Contact your advisor for assistance, or email

I need to retake the Math Placement Test, but I have already taken it twice. Can I take it again?

Math Placement Test and Advanced Math Placement test scores are valid for one-calendar year. Both exams may be taken twice to achieve the required score you need to enroll in the math course for your major.
If you do not meet the required score after two attempts, or your second attempt score has expired, you may request a third attempt by emailing your name and ASU ID number to with the email subject "Request third attempt for MPT/AMPT"
If you have additional questions, contact the Undergraduate Math Office at 480-965-7195.

I'm on probation, what does that mean?

If you are not making satisfactory progress and your cumulative GPA is below 2.0 you will be placed on probation status. Once on probation, you will need to:

  1. enroll in UNI 220 for the next academic semester
  2. schedule a probation advising appointment with Rehn Kovacic through your My ASU >> My Programs >> Advising

You will be required to meet with Rehn throughout the semester to ensure you are getting the support and tools you need to successfully improve your GPA and remain in good-standing with the university.

If you are unable to improve your CUM GPA above a 2.0 within two semesters, you will be disqualified from the university and unable to continue your academic program at ASU.

I need to access the Math Placement Test, but it's no longer a to-do item on MyASU. Where do I go?

You can access the Math Placement Test at anytime online at

 The class I want is full. How can I get in?

Class full overrides are granted at the discretion of the instructor. For a class full override to be approved:

  1. the class instructor must agree to the override, by signing off on an override authorization form or emailing their permission to
  2. there must be physical space available in the classroom. If the class is enrolled to fire-code capacity no override will be granted, regardless of instructor permission
  3. it must be before the 21st day of the semester; exceptions require the approval of the department.

Note, the online "Waitlist" feature associated with the schedule of classes does not work, so clicking the waitlist option will not actually add your name to the enrollment queue.
Some faculty will maintain an off-line waitlist for their full classes with priority given to students who have attended the class since the beginning of term and who have actively been engaged in the course and in communication with the professor.

I already have credit for a class but I want to retake it. What do I do?

If you have posted credit (grade of C or better) for a course, the system will not allow you to self-enroll in the course. You must contact our office for permission. Permission is only granted in cases of:

  • an extended period of time has passed since the course was taken and a refresher of skills and knowledge is needed to ensure success in subsequent courses
  • student has AP credit for a course but wishes to retake the course at ASU at the recommendation of their academic advisor, or as required of their pre-professional program (many medical schools will not accept AP credit towards meeting prerequisite requirements --speak with a pre-professional advisor [] for assistance.

I got a C in a course that requires a B or better. What do I do?

If you are an Actuarial Sciences major, you will see that your degree requires you earn a grade of B or better in your critically-tracked courses. If you earn a grade of C you will need to complete a Standards Committee Petition to retake the course. The form you will complete is "Enroll in an ASU Course for a Third Time or More" - yes, even though it is only your second attempt at the course.
Complete the petition and schedule an advising appointment so your advisor can complete their portions of the petition. Once complete, you will need to turn in the petition to CLAS in the Fulton building, room 110.
Petitions are reviewed on a weekly basis, and need to be completed early to ensure you are able to retake the course in the subsequent term. DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE WEEK BEFORE CLASSES START TO SUBMIT THE PETITION.

If I repeat a course in the same academic year, does it still count towards my 30 hours required for my scholarship?

No. If you retake a course in the same academic year (fall-spring) then you will need to add an additional course to your spring schedule to ensure you meet the 30-credit hours required of NAmU scholarships. If you do not, the net credit hours you completed in the academic year may be less than 30 and you may loose some, or all, or your academic scholarship.
If you have questions about specific requirements of your scholarship, contact the Financial Aid Office or your academic advisor.

How do W grades negatively impact my academic record?

A grade of "W" indicates that you withdrew from a course after the drop/add deadline for the semester. It does NOT impact your GPA. It does NOT count as an attempt at the course. It will NOT prevent you from being accepted to a graduate degree program. If your advisor or admissions committee sees a trend of "W" grades, they may ask you about it, but it should not deter you from withdrawing from a class.  

A grade of "W" may impact your financial aid or scholarship funding for a future term if you are not making satisfactory progress towards your degree.  

You may consider a withdrawal if:

  • the course or instructor are not a good fit for your academic career plans
  • you are well into the class and recognize there is no way you will be able to successfully pass the course; withdrawing will allow you to preserve your GPA
  • you find a course or instructor that are a better fit and you need to swap into the new section after the drop/add deadline, and before the 21st day of the semester.
  • your personal or academic plans have changed and the course you are in no longer meets your needs.

If you experience a significant medical issue or a personal event which inhibits your ability to successfully pass your classes, contact your advisor to discuss options. You may be eligible for a Compassionate or Medical Withdrawal from the term.

How many classes are required to complete a minor in the School of Mathematical and Statistical Sciences?

We have three minors and two professional certificates available. Minors must be attached to a Bachelor's degree to complete.  

Computational Math Minor - required hours 18-20
Calc II (MAT 271 or 266)
Calc III (MAT 272 or 267)
Linear Algebra (MAT 342 or 343)
Scientific Computing (MAT 420)
Applied Computational Methods (MAT 421)
Numerical Analysis (MAT 423 or 425)
Calc I (MAT 270 or 265)
Differential Equations (MAT 275)
Java Programming (CSE 110 and CSE 205)

Statistics Minor - required hours 18-20
Calc II (MAT 271 or 266)
Calc III (MAT 272 or 267)
Mathematical Structures (MAT 300)
Intro to Applied Statistics (STP 420)
Probability (STP 421)
Mathematical Statistics (STP 427) or Experimental Statistics (STP 429)
Calc I (MAT 270 or 265)

Mathematics Minor - required hours 18-20
Calc II (MAT 271 or 266)
Calc III (MAT 272 or 267)
Linear Algebra (MAT 342 or 343)
Three upper-division elective classes (ACT, MAT, MTE, or STP).
Calc I (MAT 270 or 265)

If a course is required for your major, you MAY NOT use it in your minor. A substitute course may be taken to make up the required hours in the minor.
MAT 275 and MAT 242 cannot be applied towards required courses in our minors, unless they are being used as substitution courses, per the statement above.

How can I dispute my course grade or bring a concern about my class to the attention of the school?

If you have a concern about your course grade or how the course is being administered you should address your concerns directly with your instructor. If after doing so, you feel your concerns have not been resolved or adequately addressed, complete a Student Concern Form so that the school can address your situation and work to resolve any outstanding issues. Once the form is received it will be reviewed by the appropriate faculty-lead and you will be contacted for further discussion.

If you wish to bring a general concern to the school’s attention, but do not wish to be identified, you may submit the form anonymously, as well.


Degree Audit Report (DARS)

How do I get a DARS report?
Follow these Instructions for getting a DARS report.  

How do I check whether a course satisfies a particular university or college requirement?
A list of courses satisfying the university can be found here. Each college also has information on additional requirements.  

What is the ASU Undergraduate General Studies Program?

A baccalaureate education should prepare students for a particular profession or advanced study and for constructive and satisfying personal, social and civic lives, as well. In addition to depth of knowledge in a particular academic or professional discipline, students should also be broadly educated and develop the general intellectual skills they need to continue learning throughout their lives. Thus, the General Studies requirement complements the undergraduate major by helping students gain mastery of critical learning skills, investigate the traditional branches of knowledge and develop the broad perspective that frees one to appreciate diversity and change across time, culture and national boundaries. Learn more.

What is the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences "Science and Society" requirement?
Science and Society courses are new requirements started in the Fall 2006 to replace language requirements in the B.S. tracks. A list of approved courses is available at Science and Society Requirement  

What should I do if some of the courses I took elsewhere and transferred do not appear in my DARS?
Bring your transcripts to the registrar's office.  

What should I do if courses do not appear in my DARS where they are supposed to?
Courses taken at UA or NAU, as well as community colleges in Arizona, should transfer automatically according to the official Transfer Credit Guide. If you want to have a course you took outside Arizona count towards your degree requirements you will need to have it evaluated for equivalency. Consult with an advisor if you have any questions