Your college career begins now
Welcome Sun Devils! We’re excited to welcome you to your new academic home in the School of Mathematical and Statistical Sciences in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at Arizona State University!
Our number one priority is your success so we hope you'll join us for our free, two-week immersion program. You’ll join fellow mathematics, statistics, math education, and actuarial science majors as you embark on your exciting transition from high school to college. Tackling new expectations with friends and a larger community of students with common goals can make the transition easier.
From exploring mathematical modeling using MATLAB to collaborative problem-solving, you’ll experience a lively, engaging and thought-provoking program designed to create a pathway to success for you.
About our program
The 2019 Math and Stats Early Start program offers students a unique introduction to, and exploration of, the study of mathematics at ASU Tempe including the courses, STEM careers and research opportunities available to math majors. At Early Start, you will:
- Meet and engage with mathematics, statistics, actuarial science, and math education scholars
- Learn strategies for succeeding in college
- Meet professors, academic advisors and staff dedicated to your success
- Learn to think like a mathematician
- Discover research opportunities in the School of Mathematical and Statistical Sciences
- Learn note-taking tips and how to be proactive in a college class
- Get to know classmates majoring in math
- Become part of the School of Math and Stats community
- Learn about important resources
- Explore and get comfortable navigating the beautiful ASU Tempe campus
- Have fun! We understand the importance of work-life balance, and we will set you up for success as you start the next chapter of your life at ASU
Our Early Start team
During Early Start, you’ll work with dedicated faculty members and advisors who are eager to help you succeed at ASU. You’ll get to know your professors and mentors on a personal and professional level so you’ll be more confident asking for help during the school year.
During Early Start, you can expect to be busy each day throughout the entirety of the program.
And we promise — you won’t be sitting and falling asleep in a classroom all day!
Sunday, August 4
Friday, August 16
9 a.m. – 5 p.m. daily (including weekends)
Evening activities through the program
All meals included