Applications for the School of Mathematical and Statistical Sciences (SoMSS) graduate student travel awards occur four times each academic year, for specific dates of travel. Be sure to check your travel dates to make sure you submit your application on time.
SoMSS Graduate Student Travel Application Deadlines:
December 15 – for travel occurring January 1 through March 31
March 15 – for travel occurring April 1 through June 30
June 15 – for travel occurring July 1 through September 30
September 15 – for travel occurring October 1 through December 31
You must apply for outside funding (e.g. GPSA, Graduate Education, from the conference, sponsoring organizations, advisor, etc.) in order to be eligible for SoMSS funding.
Note: if you do not require funding for your travel, skip to step 2 below.
- Complete the online form for graduate student travel support. Your advisor will automatically receive an email asking for their approval after you submit the form. Once your advisor has approved your request, the form automatically goes to the graduate office for the graduate director's consideration.
- Start a Trip Request in the My ASU Trip Concur travel system. The My ASU Trip Concur system will generate a trip ID#, which you will use for your funding requests (Graduate Education, GPSA, etc). If applying for SoMSS graduate travel funding, you will need to gain approval from the school prior to the final submission of your trip request in the My ASU Trip Concur travel system. Instructional documents and video walkthroughs are available to help you learn the My ASU Trip Concur travel system.
- Submit the Graduate Education conference travel grant application according to the posted deadline. The completed form must be turned in to the SoMSS graduate office at least one week prior to the posted Graduate Education deadline. The graduate committee will be ranking the top two applicants according to the guidelines below and submitting them for funding. Make sure that your application is on-time to the SoMSS office, otherwise it will not be submitted to Graduate Education.
- Apply for GPSA travel funding The GPSA Individual Travel Grant program runs on a monthly cycle. An application must be submitted no later than 11:59 PM AZ time on the 1st day of the month, TWO MONTHS prior to the month of departure. Example: If traveling on November 22, the online application is due no later than September 1 at 11:59 PM AZ time.
Note: If funding is not approved, you will be personally responsible for the expenses incurred during this travel.
School Guidelines for Ranking Graduate Travel Grant RequestsFunding for travel to research conferences will only be granted:
- to a student who is giving a talk or presenting a poster. An abstract must be provided in the application. Active participation in either specialized workshops or conferences will also be considered. The student must provide a detailed explanation of why such participation will be useful in his/her research.
- if the request is supported by the student's advisor
- if the student, when possible, has requested outside funding (e.g. from the conference, National Science Foundation, advisor, Graduate and Professional Student Association (GPSA) etc.).
- if the student is making sufficient academic progress
- if the student is performing TA/RA duties satisfactorily
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.